Friday 4 May 2012

A World Without Books

I have dropped back to teaching three days a week because I want to start a cleaning company. I did a cleaning job the other day in a vast, beautiful home. I had cleaned the kid's rooms and was onto the parent's when I noticed that they did not have any books on their bedside tables. That seemed a little weird to me as, even though both my husband and I have kindles, we still both have piles of books next to and on our bedside tables. I started to think about the three children's rooms and realised that there were no books there either. I went back to check and I was right, there were no books. I thought that the playroom, or study may have some books visible, but no. I cleaned every room in their house and there was not a book to be seen.
The thought of a house without books is really odd to me. We have three bookcaes, not including the three shelves of books in Riley's room. All of our friends have bookcases crammed with books too. We buy books, we borrow books, we lend books and we talk about books. Riley, even though dyslexic, also loves books.

I was a little envious of this beautiful home when I entered, but I thought about a house without books for a fair bit of the time that I was there and realised I wouldn't swap my bulging bookcases for the world.

4 comments:

  1. House of Horrors. A house without books - how truly sad. I cannot fathom a home without books, we have books in the study, the kids have bookcases, I am about to put shelves in my room for my books in an effort to make it look nice (and give my new cleaner something to do) and there are even books in both our toilets. Books in the car, books in the shed, books in the kitchen..... we are lucky then I guess. Jacie

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT!!!!?? Seriously? NO books? Even display homes have books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, it was quite unfamiliar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting observation, even in this digital age it is hard to imagine a house without books.....Not sure I would want you to clean my house though, we have books....and other stuff...JK..well sort of...

    Cranky Old Man

    ReplyDelete