Friday 8 June 2012

Review - Maths Online

On Saturdays I write a review on goods or services, today I'm reviewing Maths Online. Maths was one of the learning areas in the first phase of the National Curriculum and Maths Online markets itself as an online maths tutor and is linked to the National Curriculum for maths. Anyone who has ever seen Mathletics or the Khan Academy will be familiar with the concept of online tutoring.My husband and I are pretty hopeless at Maths, so we are happy to pay for a service that supports Riley in this area.

The Khan Academy is free and has a short lesson where the concept is explained on a blackboard, Maths online do the same thing, but the graphics are less cluttered and the teacher is an Australian. Unlike the Khan Academy, Maths Online has all of its lessons linked to the Mathematic strands of the curriculum and levelled from Kindergarden to Year 12. Each lesson explains a mathematical concept, shows the working out and provides a few examples and only lasts for a few minutes. Students then move on the the questions for that concept. You can skip the lesson all together if you like, or watch it over again. I like it more than Mathletics because of the lesson feature.

There are lots of things Riley hates having to do for homework, but he doesn't mind his Maths Online time 

You can buy an annual, six monthly, or month subscription. A year costs $197, which is pretty affordable. Many schools subscribe to Mathletics, but I think in time that Maths Online will probably become the prefered option for schools.



$197

6 comments:

  1. Is that vodka Riley is drinking? He looks really grown up in this shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our school uses Mathletics and for my 8 year old, it's done the job (it helps that she's a maths wizz unlike her mother!). My twins start prep next year and I'm a bit nervous about how they'll cope with the new national curriculum so in case one of them struggles, I'll keep this program in mind. What a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachael, I was thinking the same thing. No wonder he enjoys Maths!

    We are using Maths Online with Jamie too. It is great!

    RD xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion as an Extension 1 student in year 12, Maths Online lacks a lot of depth and has not been very helpful, I have found Youtube more helpful. I was hoping it would really help and have many helpful videos however, I am disappointed with the site. It basically has a 5-10min video on a topic that explains the concepts and formulas and a few very simple questions. The questions will rarely be of much help in an exam situation. I would not recommend it to anyone in year 11/12 as the depth is terrible and the source acts not even close to a tutor, spend your money else where.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this article. Indeed there are a number of sites which provide students an opportunity to practice maths. Although its very difficult to say which is the best, but certainly Maths online and Khan academy provides a rich resource of practice tests.

    I would also encourage you to try www.grade5maths.com and www.selectiveschoolexam.com both these sites are focused on year 5 and year 6 students

    ReplyDelete
  6. mathsonline do not like disable people asking lots of questions. I wanted to know why there was only 10 question per topic. And one of the maths team women email me a few things but did not answer the question. And then told me to stop sending emails. Been so rudely treated just to know more.

    ReplyDelete