Monday 14 May 2012

NAPLAN Week

The National Assessment Program-Literacy and Numeracy otherwise known as NAPLAN starts tomorrow and goes until the 17th of May. Last week I wrote of the fact that we had been asked to fill out an exemption for Riley, which we had done. We have since withdrawn that exemption and Riley will be sitting the tests. We really agonised over this decision, because the tests will be really hard for him, as he is dyslexic. 

I have spoken to him of the tests and tried to explain that they are not important, I have also written the following on a piece of paper and he is going to write this on the tests when he gets to the point where he can do no more,  "I can't do this test because I am dyslexic and it discriminates against me". I hope he does not get into trouble for this, but have explained to him that his teacher might not like it, but it would really be me she is angry at not him.

I feel a bit guilty, as I am technically using Riley as a tool in a political message I want to send, but I can't think of a stronger way to get the message across. I realise now that if Peter Garrett does use these tests to identify areas of need for funding and programs, then all dyslexic chilren should sit the test, maybe that way the government will see what a need there is to recognise dyslexia as a learning disability and put in the appropriate support in place for dyslexic children.

I don't know if what I'm doing is right, but at least I feel like I am doing something. Hopefully by the time he is in Grade 5 they will do away with the whole idea of standardised testing, like many other nations have already done.

4 comments:

  1. It may or may not go up the chain (to the cistern or even down to the pan) but at least you will have agitated for it. Perhaps if more parents were to not acquiesce to such requests the reality may be uncovered rather than being conveniently omitted from the result. Reportedly attributed by Mark Twain to Benjamin Disraeli "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote, thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, it is ridiculous, but primary schools are really intimidating,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I have just discovered your blog, so thanks for your valuable information :)
    We have a wonderful creative son with dyslexia he is in Grade 3 so we have NAPLAN coming up. I am wondering given your initial post was in 2012, if you would still consider the above approach to have worked for your son and your family ? I am sitting on the fence with regards to having him sit the test or not....
    Thanks in advance Angela

    ReplyDelete