Thursday 17 May 2012

Schooling Dilemma Part 2

I want it to be known that I worked long and hard for Riley's learning needs to be considered at his school. From what I gather it would seem that Riley was the only dyslexic child they had ever encountered. The 'special needs' teacher was a high school english teacher, which I am. I know that I would be totally unqualified to work with students who have special needs, because I have had no training in that area. The one time that this teacher did come to a professional development session at Dyslexia SPELD with me she was negative and rude, and not just to me, but to the highly qualified presenter as well.

It was with heavy heart that I decided Riley should move schools, however, when I raised the prospect with him last night he said, "I don't think that school is for me mum". I was a bit confused as he always had 'a great day' and has friends there. I would have moved him regardless, because I know what is best for my son. The Mahjong Nazi collected him from school today and he said he was really happy that he was changing schools. Even if he didn't, the parent knows best!

When we got home from dinner he couldn't wait to get into his new school uniform. He is really excited about his new school! Me, I'd be a nervous wreck. All I know, and probably him on some level, is that it can't be worse.



Go Riley!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Go Riley! We love you! Have a great day at your new school xoxox (Jamie, Lizzie and Rachel)

    ReplyDelete