Saturday 5 May 2012

"Knock Knock..."

I love Riley, but I hate his jokes. I dread the words, "Knock, knock", or "I'll tell you a funny joke". I actually dislike most jokes. I like funny people, but most funny people don’t tell jokes. Kid’s jokes are the least funny, because they generally do not make sense and are not in the least bit funny. I always make the mistake of giving a polite chuckle then move progressively to “Your jokes are not funny!”

The worst kid joke scenario for me is when there are a few kids all bouncing their ‘hilarious’ jokes of each other to an adult audience. There is always at least one really polite and nurturing adult who will laugh at their jokes. Often this person has been me, but no longer.

Occasionally kids do tell you a funny joke and the genuine laugh they receive is like a cue to tell the same joke over and over again. We once had an eight hour drive back from holidays where Riley told the same joke for about four of those hours, it was hell.

I do hope that Riley grows up having a good sense of humour and enjoying funny people like I do, but if he never tells me another joke in the world, I’ll be quite happy with that. In fact if I never hear the words, “Did you hear about…”, or “There were three…”, or “Knock, knock” I will consider it a gift.

Keep smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment