Tuesday 17 July 2012

There is Still Magic in That Tree

Enid Blyton was born in 1897, the Mahjong Nazi grew up with her stories, I grew up with her stories and Riley still loves her stories. We have just started re-reading "The Magic Faraway Tree", it was published in 1943 and it is still a hit in this house. I know it was a hit for my nephews aged 14 and 19 because we have borrowed their copy. 

Sadly there have been criticisms of Blyton's writing; complaints that her language was not literary enough; questions about the relationship between Noddy and Mr Big Ears; judgements on Noddy as a role model for boys as he wept with frustration; views that the worlds that she painted were too rosy and don't mention Gollywog!

There were colloquialsims in Enid Blyton's novels that we would now find unacceptable, but really, don't we read a text in relation to the time it was written and don't we learn about societal change from these references? And in learning about what is no longer acceptable don't we then form a view of what is acceptable?

As for Noddy and Big Ears, we should be providing gay role models for children, because some of them will be gay and all of them will have gay friends or family.

Boys should be encouraged to cry, to show their true emotions. There is nothing femine about crying, just human.



I love that Riley has rediscovered this book, that he puts a bracelet around it when he is not reading it and that he crawls under the covers when a 'scary' bit comes. I love this especially because our kids seem so sophisticated these days and really they are not, they are just kids.

12 comments:

  1. Ha ha, I love Enid Blyton and every night I make up stories for the kids about the Magic Faraway Tree with a different land on top. I'll read it to them when they're a bit older. They still want books with lots of pictures...

    I posted about it here a few weeks ago: http://www.insane-jane.com/2012/06/bad-mother-stuff-i-do.html

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this book for years. I must find a copy and read it to my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out second hand stores, that's where ours are from.

      Delete
  3. I love Enid Blyton books and will introduce them to my children.. I do not thing anyone can judge EB's writing skills..

    just look at twilight and 50 shades of grey.

    Granted not kids books - but at the end of the day who can comment on something written long before social media.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a huge fan of the Magic Faraway Tree series, the Wishing Chair, Secret Seven, Famous Five and The Naughtiest Girl in the School. Loved them all. I was so disappointed when my daughter wasn't interested in them. But I have two more girls to try with so I am determined ignite the passion in ONE of my children!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had fond memories growing up with Enid Blyton - mainly the Famous Five series.
    Yes, I've heard about the recent criticism. And I think, "She got children to read. To use their imaginations!" Where are we with that today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Grace, so many kids have forgotten how to use their imaginations.

      Delete
  6. I loved Enid Blyton's books, particularly the Famous Five, and I still have a very old copy of The Adventures of the Wishing Chair! Sadly my kids weren't interested in Enid Blyton, but my youngest grew up reading Harry Potter and at 21 he still reads those books. I wonder what ppl will be saying about Harry and J K Rowling in 30 years?

    ReplyDelete