Monday 28 May 2012

How Lucky We Are

I have been following the Syrian civil war since the beginning, but I was listening to Triple J's Hack program this afternoon and heard about the massacre that took place in Al-Houla on Friday where 92 people were killed at close range, a third of them children. Soldiers shot, or stabbed these innocent people at close range, babies included. The killing appeared indiscriminate.

The news reporter described what is now uploaded on youtube and it sounded horrific. I watched some of this footage and felt sick, my blood cooled. I've posted the link not because I think anyone should watch it, but because some people might. If you do watch it that is up to you, but don't do it around children. Its only three minutes long, but seems much longer.

To me, this footage and others like it astound me. I just do not understand what person could commit such atrocities to another person and how this can be ordered and sanctioned in our world.

As Australians, we are very lucky and in some ways our isolation protects us, but it shouldn't completely shield us from the inhumane actions of other governments. If you believe in petitions, then this is the link to one that Save the Children have http://action.savethechildren.org.uk/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=7&ea.campaign.id=13920.

I hope I don't ofend anyone by writing this post and sharing this link. If you do not want to watch the link stop now.

Graphic video footage below









No comments:

Post a Comment