Monday 4 June 2012

When Enough is Not Enough



We went to a lovely park for a picnic today, Riley had an awesome time, but when he failed to catch any tadpoles this was the conversation we drove home having.

Riley: Can we please go to the pet store and get a new pet?
Me: We don't buy pet's from pet stores.
Riley: I was thinking a mynah bird.
Me: No.
Riley: The dog was telling me that he is quite lonely and would love some company, he asked for a puppy.
Me: No.
Riley: The cat said he would be less grumpy if he had a kitten like the one X has.
Me: No
Riley: That's not fair, I will pay for it myself, I have a bag of money.
Me: Riley, sorry, but your bag of money is not enough to buy a new pet.
Riley: It is if we go to an animal shelter, which is what I meant.
Me: No.
Riley: You haven't seen my bag of money, there is more there than you think.
Me: No.

Silence

Riley: Maybe a fish?
Me: No!

We had to stop at a petrol station to get some milk.

Riley: Cool! Look at these sunglasses, can I get them please?
Me: No.
Riley: Look at these torches can I please get a torch? We need a torch, we don't have a torch.
Me: No.

Last leg home.

Riley: Can we go to X's house?
Me: No.
Riley: Can we go to Y's house?
Me: No.
Riley: Can we go to Z's house?
Me: No!



8 comments:

  1. Great photo. I love how sparing, and rightly so, you are with exclamation marks. I always use far too many! I would love a mynah bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, that is so funny because one of my friends always comments on my exclamation mark over use!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad used to say to me "oh I see the exclamation mark fairy has been" when I showed him my English homework :-)

    Love the dialogue. I have it all to come! And a bag of money eh? cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids and their questions! Sometimes they just keep going until they get a yes, from their exasperated parent! (I over-use exclamation marks and I. Don't. Care!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's hilarious! You win points for your outstanding levels of patience! All the way home too! :)
    Gorgeous photo. He's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, we are quite partial to him.

      Delete