Tuesday 15 May 2012

Ride The Wave With Me

A movement is forming people, I am going to call it the dyslexic wave, we are just a small movement at the moment, but momentum is growing fast and anyone can ride this wave.

It is a travesty that dyslexia is not recognised by any government in Australia, except NSW and this wave aims to change that, in Western Australia at least.

The written word is really difficult for dyslexic people to unscramble, making simple tasks, such as reading this blog very challenging. For dyslexic readers words can run together, letters, or words can move, letters can appear upside down, or back-to-front, some letters may be indiscernible from others, letters could be jumbled, or bunched together. The image below is an illustration of how a passage may appear to a dyslexic reader.page with blurry and distorted text




Image from http://www.dyslexia.com/library/information.htm#See












Many of us take reading for granted. I know I did until I had a dyslexic child. Every day at school is a huge challenge for Riley and every dyslexic child. All children cope with a learning difficulty differently. The rate of clinical depression is significantly higher in dyslexic children than that of their peers, as is the rate of truancy. These facts make me sad and angry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwZLFTW4OGYhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwZLFTW4OGY

I don't know what the answer for dyslexic children is, but I do know that the Western Australian government, by not recognising dyslexia, is not doing anything to help those who suffer from this learning disability. I also know that I am going to keep riding the dyslexia wave and hopefully I will collect supporters on the way.

To hop on board the dyslexia wave please click this link and sign the petition supporting dyslexia as a learning disability in Western Australia.
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-dyslexia-as-a-recognised-learning-disability-in.html







4 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Signed and also shared it on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been so shocked by how many dyslexic children I have come across in my classroom, it is much more common that I realised and so sad that our system (in my state too - SA) doesn't give children with dyslexia any extra support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments and signatures.

    ReplyDelete