Wednesday 27 June 2012

Wow, you have a Baby, Part 2.


I caught up with a friend of mine last week who had a baby a few months ago. It was not the first time I had caught up with her and met her little girl, it was the third time, but it was the same as the first time. All we talked about was her baby, how wonderful she was, how beautiful she was, how clever she was. Now I like babies, I even had one of my own and I know that it is a new and exciting journey when you have a baby. A baby changes everything, you begin to look at the world differently and things that were once important are no longer and vise versa.

I really enjoy talking about parenthood and will happily discuss feeding, sleeping, birthing, you name it. If you are my friend, I will cheer at your child's milestones and love them, but I expect the same in return. The first couiple of times when you ignore my child I will forgive you because you are probably sleep deprived and in wonderous awe of your new life, but after that I expect you to show some interest in my life, to speak to my son.

Just because a child is the centre of a parent's universe, some parents expect them to be the centre of everyone's universe and that is just not the case. No child could be cuter, funnier, more interesting than your own. So, congratulations to all those new mumys and daddys out there, your life is about to change in the best way possible, but just remember that many have gone before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment