Saturday 23 June 2012

Taking Action



As anyone who reads this blog will know, I feel passionately about improving education for dyslexic learners, but I also feel passionately about refugees and their treatment. Yesterday to mark the end of Refugee Week, we headed to Fremantle to attend the Welcome Fiesta and Walk Together. When it comes to social action, I'm a bit of a gunna and I think the last time I took part in a protest march was in 1989 when we marched to Parliament House as part of a teacher strike. I feel really strongly about the refugee issue, so I was determined to participate in this one.

The idea of the walk was that all people from all walks of life participate in recognition that Australians are made up of a diverse range of people, and its true, this is what makes our country so rich. Also, we are all human beings regardless of where we come from and how we arrived here. We have never talked about refugees with Riley before, but this walk was a good opportunity to explain what a refugee was, why they had to leave their country and why we had to open our country to them. I think that eight is old enough to understand this issue, and I was right and am happy to announce that my son is a humanitarian in the making.

1 comment: