Friday 8 June 2012

The Hair Issue


Riley has pretty long hair for a boy, this was born first from lazy parenting, and now it looks 'cool'. Most people over the age of 50 have an issue with Riley's hair, this includes my husband. I think his hair looks nice, when he brushes it, which is not often enough. Riley loves his hair, and is very opossed to getting it cut.

I see the Mahjong Nazi a few times a week, and every time I see her, without fail, she either asks, "When are you going to cut his hair", or tells me,"You really need to cut his hair". Every  single time. My husband uses threats of getting his hair cut as a conseqence, "If you don't do the right thing, I'll take you to the barber". I probably do deserve worst parent of the year award for not arranging a haircut, but I'm on team Riley and think it looks nice, most of the time.

What I don't get is the fact that he has such little regard for the maintenance of his hair. If that was my hair, I'd be brushing it all the time, because it really is such lovely hair. Is there a personal grooming gene? If so Riley does not have it. He constantly needs to be reminded to brush his hair and teeth and would go for weeks without a shower if not reminded. It's not that he is dirty, or opposed to any of these elements of personal grooming, it's just that the thought of these things do not cross his mind, ever, without us reminding him.

I know that when he goes to the high school he's down for he will have to cut it, but until then
I am content to remind him every day to brush his hair, maybe after a few more years, fingers crossed, it will become a habit.

1 comment:

  1. I'm on the hubby's side, being the hubby. But I do want to point out that it isn't the length I am concerned about, but the fact that it needs a neatening. I think a well placed twenty bucks could have him looking way more cool and fighting off the ladies... including all the mums who adore his hair.

    Or maybe I'm just jealous?

    ReplyDelete