Friday 22 June 2012

I Ate an Apple


I'm pretty chuffed with myself, today I ate an apple and I ate one last Saturday too. This is pretty rare for me as when mango season ends it generally means the end of fruit eating until the next mango season . We have pretty bad eating habits in this household, it is a mainly carnivorous diet here with some starch thrown in for energy. It embarrasing to admit that we have a diet that mirrors uni students. Not the healthy uni students, but uni students who are living away from home for the first time and don't know what those round metal things in their cupboards are.

I think I am a pretty good parent, but when it comes to diet, I'm a pretty crap parent, but that is all going to change (after my husband returns with the McDonalds that we are having for dinner tonight). I know that one of the causes for our terrible diet is that we both work full-time and really hate food shopping, so each meal is a spur of the moment decision. I also know that if we did a weekly shop, we would eat better.



Before Riley came along we were very organised, trawling through "Gourmet Traveller" magazines and having a a meal plan for the week. Those were also the days when it didn't matter if you didn't eat until eight o'clock.

When Riley was younger we still tried to maintain this lifestyle, but after the 300th time that your child turns his nose up at your carefully planned and well executed meal you sort of give up and before you know it you have the eating habits of Homer Simpson. These days we are ready for bed at eight o'clock and I'm generally starving by six pm.

The times they are a changing. We are not going to eat fast food of any kind for the next month, I am going to try to remember to eat a piece of fruit every day, maybe two and we will be planning and cooking meals. This will be tough. If I can get Riley to eat my garlic lentils it will all be worthwhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment