Friday 15 June 2012

Review - Origin Energy

Image source greenenergyblog.com.au

On Saturdays I write a review on goods or services, today I'm reviewing Origin Energy's solar power service. I try to be as green as I can. I recycle, use Enjo cleaning products, don't use my clothes dryer and believe in harnessing the sun's energy for my power.

Encouraged by reports from friends and family of $10 power bills and the thought of being a little greener, we decided to get solar panels and chose Origin energy as our provider. The result has been less than spectacular.

Ideally solar panels should be installed on the North facing roof, the installers told us that they would not all fit on our Nothern roof, but they would put them on the West roof and this would only affect the panel's effectiveness by 10%. I eagerly awaited our first power bills post installation and was stunned to see that the bill was pretty much identical to the bill for that period the last year.

Solar panels are quite an expensive investment for your avergage family, so I was a little upset by the lack of return we were seeing from them. After many attempts to speak to someone at Origin about our issue and getting nowhere, I posted a comment about how disappointed I was on Twitter and some-one from Origin phoned me the next day. I read out all of the readings on our solar meter and she agreed, the panels were not working effectively and arranged for the panels to be placed on frames so they would get more sun.

Nearly 9 months on and I have worked out that our power bills are on average, $10 less than they were before the panels. I live in Perth, we get a lot of sun, even in winter. Something is not right with these panels. I have sent Origin numerous emails about this issue and have received no answer. I can't contact the one person at Origin who was helpful because her number was always blocked.

What I want now is form them to remove the panels and refund my money, but they never reply to these requests either. I still want solar panels, but will be shopping around for a company with better customer service than Origin Energy.

1 comment:

  1. It's unfortunate that they haven't responded to you. Especially when you're committed to being environmentally friendly and see the potential in using solar panels. Hope someone gets back to you soon.

    ReplyDelete