Tuesday 5 June 2012

Three Steps Forward, Two Steps Back


Three steps forward, two steps back. That's how I'm feeling with Riley's schooling at the moment. Riley is making great progress with his Dyslexia SPELD reading tutor, but I was disheartened to see the book that was sent home for his reading.


Schooling for a dyslexic child is very stressful, for the child and their parents. I know of other parents of dyslexic children who have been to over five schools, home school, or have moved to the US so that their child could thrive. Sadly, we don't have the financial resources to move countries, or home school, but if we did, we would. We moved Riley from his last school because after repeated meetings they still could not offer an appropriate classroom for him. We and Riley are happy with his new school, except for the level of reading he is being given.

I got some criticism about a previous post where I talked about the fact that we had moved schools. Parents do not make these decisions lightly, it is a long process of meetings and meetings and sleepless nights, but a parent does know what is best for their child and they recognise an environment where their child's talents are not valued.

Riley's class are hosting the assembly tomorrow. Riley has his first ever speaking part. Myself, my husband and the Mahjong Nazi are really excited. For me, this is evidence that the teacher can actually see that Riley is a bright capable boy. We have a meeting with her next week and I am sure that she will be heartened to see what Riley can actually read.

I have a good feeling about this school and will do whatever I can to work with them to help my child succeed, but if that does not happen, I will have no qualms about moving him, again.

Parents should not have to move to the US, or home school, or move from school to school to get a specific learning disabilty dealt with appropriately. The sooner dyslexia is recognised as a learning disability the better for all future Australians.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-dyslexia-as-a-recognised-learning-disability-in.html


No comments:

Post a Comment