Saturday 21 April 2012

Three Generations of Musical Theatre Love

This afternoon Riley, my mum and I are going to see "Mary Poppins" at Burswood. I bought the tickets over 6 months ago and they have sat idly on my fridge, swallowed up by all of the bills and school fliers. It is very exciting that I can finally take them off and offer up their space to something else (a bill probably). I always live in fear of getting to a concert, or show and not having the tickets, so I put them in my bag last night!



My parents were pretty good at taking us to stage shows and musicals and I remember fondly how excited my sister and I would always get and how we always wore our best clothes. We never went to church, so best clothes had to be used for some occasion! I started thinking about what Riley will wear a few days ago, and I know this is stupid, but I want him to feel the magic of going out to the theatre and part of it is still dressing up. Also, we seem to get so few opportunities to dress up and feel special these days I want to take every opportunity possible.

My mother, from hereon to be called the Mahjong Nazi, hates to be late. Her wall clock and watch are set 10 minutes fast and have been for as long as I remember. She is actually convinced that they tell the correct time and the rest of the world is wrong. It drives my sister and I crazy. We also do not like to be late, but don't see the need to be 10 minutes early.


The Mahjong Nazi

So the Mahjong Nazi called last night to tell be that she had heard from one of her bowling friends, that parking was CRAZY! We should get there an hour earlier, or catch the train! There is no point trying to reason with her that there will be parking, we just might have to pay for it. I hate catching the train to Burswood as the station is miles away from the complex and today I will be wearing very lovely, but highly impractical shoes. I expect her in an hour, but know she will probably be here in about ten minutes.

I do know that I will look amazing and tall, Riley will look handsome and I'm sure the Mahjong Nazi will scrub up ok too. We will be very early, so we won't miss a second of the show. I will have a little laugh pretending I've forgotten the tickets. And most importantly, Riley will always remember "Mary Poppins" as his fisrt taste of musical theatre and remember that his beloved 'Marnie' (aka the Mahjong Nazi) was watching right beside him.

2 comments:

  1. Love the bit about the Majong Nazi... brought tears to my eyes! :-)

    ReplyDelete