Thursday 26 April 2012

On Growing Up

Riley was tired and emotional the other night. He was lying in my bed and talking when he sobbed emotionally that he didn't want to grow up, he wanted to stay a kid forever. I told him that growing up was normal and talked about why. He started crying more and flung his arms around my neck, saying that if he grew up I would die and he never wanted me to die. Poor little guy, I hugged him, consoling him with the fact that I would (hopefully) grow very old and be around to see him start a family of his own.

I told the Mahjong Nazi about this the next day and she shared what Riley had said to her on the subject of growing up. He told her that he didn't want to grow up and when she asked why, he said because he didn't want to have a big, fat hairy penis! Poor child!

I was thinkning about this is in bed this morning and realised that for many of us we are never truly happy with our age. I spent my childhood wanting to be a grown-up, my twenties wanting to appear mature and from then on I have wanted to be able to turn back time, especially now that I am approaching middle age!

I realised today that the Mahjong Nazi will be 70 next year. This makes me want to throw my arms around her neck and sob. I see where Riley is coming from, if I don't get any older she won't and then I can have her in my life forever. Alas, I know this can't be the case, so I'll just have to remember to throw my arms around her more often and tell her how much we love her.



4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of how Kaylen said "I'm so glad we.don't live in Disney.... You or dad would be dead" he was astute enough to see that Disney families die sooner than others. Jacie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honest style. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bought a tear to my eye. Its so true we need to cherish eveyday we have with the ones we love. You never know how much time you have.
    Love your blog Colleen. Thanks for sharing your life with us. Trish x

    ReplyDelete