Thursday 26 April 2012

"It's Our School..." 1

Our house kicked off the start of the school term this morning with normal yelling and screaming. Cliff deals with getting Riley ready for school as I leave just after Riley gets up. I'm usually home long enough to hear the first confrontation. This morning it was about turning the heater on, the maximum temperature today was 32 degrees today, at this point I left.

I got a text from Cliff later telling me that Riley's school was not open today. Riley claimed it was his best day ever, resignedly Cliff took him to work with him. We have since found out that he has tomorrow off too. I am taking leave without pay to look after him tomorrow.

                                            

In the school's defence, the school calendar was emailed to us, but we seemed to have missed the fact that Riley's school had decided to take over 3 week's holiday this break. I have two friends who send their kids to two the top ten private schools in Perth, one school went back last Monday, the other today, like the government schools.

On speaking to Cliff after Riley had "his best day ever", he commented that the administration block at the school was not even open. I looked on their website today and realised that the staff do not have to be back until Monday! I also noted that they have a 'Staff Development Day' (read pupil free day) on the 1st of June. This, coincidently, is the Friday before a Monday public holiday.

All that said, we got the bill for his fees term, $2,481 and then another $240 'school support' hours. Each parent is expected to do 6 hours per term in school support hours. This encompasses: cleaning, open days, busy bees, completing classroom tasks - but not in the classroom, etc. or they are charged $40 per hour. This does NOT include actually working in the classroom. We were 2 weeks late with fees once, we go a letter from the debt collector.  Really!




We made the choice to send Riley here, I know, but we have now decided to move him back to the public system. We have to see this term out, or pay a term's notice in lieu.

I guess I have been tardy in doing this for two reasons. The first is that he loves going there. He has made great friends and we figure that at least they know all about him. The second is that I keep thinking they will improve.

The fact that they have not improved is the main reason for moving him. The school employs a 'Specific Need's teacher'. When we found out that Riley was dyslexic, apparently a 1st for Montessori, I encouraged the principal to send this teacher to some professional development that I was also going to through Dyslexia-SPELD. She came; I had the misfortune of being at the same table as her. She was negative and rude throughout the day and then we had words over lunch. I'm not overly proud of myself that day, but she should be ashamed. She was also very negative about the day and her time spent there when the facilitator asked for feedback from the group.



Three weeks later I bumped into the principal at school, another two weeks later, I received an email telling me he had not forgotten about the issue. At the end of term the 'special needs' teacher sent me a barely legible email. Riley no longer sees her.

The silver lining in my cloud was that I returned home to a beautifully clean house thanks to www.weshineyourhouse.com, and Riley is happy that he has yet another day off school.

"It's our school..."




No comments:

Post a Comment