Monday 30 April 2012

The Place I Dread Most In My Life

This is the place I dread most at the moment. I hate opening it's nasty little flap because there is never good news.




Both my husband and I have decent paying jobs, not megabucks, but enough. Things went a bit pear shaped three years ago went we split up for three months. I lived like I had always dreamed on a couple of very generous credit cards. My husband has returned and I have since paid those off and maxed them out again, a few more as well.

What baffles me, and yet I know why, is why they keep sending them to me! Seriously! I know they make a lot of money from people like me, but I see their actions as morally irresponsible!

I got a loan to consolidate my credit card debts from a finance company and they also sent me a new credit card. I. Kid. You. Not!

Laws make it illegal to sell alcohol to drunk people, why dosen't the same premise apply here I wonder?

I wonder if I will ever grow up and learn to budget, but for the next week and a half I just wonder how we will survive with on the -$24.94 bank balance we have at the moment. I think I will avoid the letter box for a while.

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. My husband and I went into parenthood with two maxed out credit cards. Mine didn't have a very high limit, but his did and that was what was making it hard to get them paid off. I tried to get him to come with me to our bank to see about getting a debt consolidation loan before our first baby was born, but he was convinced that we could pay them off without a loan.

    When Seagull was a few months old and I was on maternity leave at half pay, Thunder Maker realised that we needed to go get the loan. We cancelled both of the credit cards, but got a new one through the bank for a lower limit. We were doing well for a while, but managed to max out the new card and were struggling to pay it off, so we went and refinanced the loan and dropped the limit on the credit card to $1000.

    I'm the only one working at the moment and we are still chipping away at the loan. For a while we could only afford to make the minimum repayment and it wasn't coming down very quickly, but a couple of months ago, I decided that we could afford to up the repayments and it has been satisfying watching it come down more quickly. I'm hoping that we can have it all payed off by the end of next year at the latest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll help you out after I win LOTTO tomorrow:)

      Delete