Friday 20 July 2012

Packing a Week Into a Day

We have been pretty lazy this week after our time away last week. Riley will happily sit and watch "Ben 10" DVDs all day and I will happily read all day, but I knew that we had to get out and do something, so today was the day.

We headed to Fremantle by train, this always seems like such a good idea at the outset, but by the end of the day you just want to get in the car and drive the quickest route home. No matter, we had fun.

When we got there we had to head straight to Myer as I was sweating in the jumper I was wearing and needed a t-shirt. Being pre-menopausal and having a thyroid condition means that I really don't get cold, so I should know better than wear a jumper out on a warm winter day.

Myer in Fremantle must be the saddest Myer in Australia, there is not much to be found there, I don't think they even had all of their lights on. I did find a t-shirt though and I found Freezeframe brush on eyelash extensions, I'm definitely going to give this a try.


Next we headed to The Capri Restaurant for lunch. I love this place, it has been there since the early 1950s and I don't think the menu has changed much in that time. The food is simple and hearty fare from northern Italy. It is one of the few places that still provides a generous free basket of bread and a bowl of soup, also free. I had the chicken soup followed by daily special, veal shank osso bucco and Riley had the kids spagetti bolognaise served with chips. We both ate everything on our plates and the bill was $39 which I think is a bargain, especially as my main was one of the most expensive dishes.

After our lunch we explored the many little shops in Fremantle, including Sarah's lolly shop...


Then we headed to the Winter Festival, the outdoor skating rink which has been set up for the school holidays. They run 45 minute skating sessions on the hour. I had bought my tickets online, which I would highly recommend doing. They have done a really good job. Liptons are one of the sponsors and there is a free chai latte tent, or a bar for non skaters to hang out in. I used to go roller skating and have always been an ok ice skater, but my skills have definitely declined. I had booked the bobby skating aid for Riley and this was awesome, he loved it and felt like he was skating independently and I loved it when he let me push it on it. He must have fallen over at least 20 times and was soaking at the end of it, but he was one of the last people on the ice and he wants to go again. I also bumped (nearly literally) into a friend from high shool, so that was nice.



Wet and with slightly sore bottoms we then headed to San Churro, where I have never been before. I knew this was a good place, so ordered one of everything. The milkshake was yummy, the Azteca hot chocolate was divine, the churros did not live up to my expectations, not squishy enough.


On the way home I stopped at David Jones and bought some of Miranda Kerr's organic beauty range, Kora, its nearly my birthday so I thought I would treat myself.

We got home after dark and I'm ready for bed, but Riley could go another round in the skating rink and is wondering what is for dinner, oh to be a kid again!

No comments:

Post a Comment